Sunday, November 06, 2016

Once a year update..really !


Last year was not particularly busy but strangely did not get a chance to update this post. But here is the update no one is really waiting for :)

Many of my favorite stocks have not done well in the last year. AAPL is trading at $108 (with P/E of 13). I sold out around $95 for a loss and this was the first time, as far as I can remember, that I took a loss on AAPL! Iphone growth has definitely slowed down, there are lot of other phones which are supposedly as good as Iphone. As for myself I did not see a point in updating my Iphone-6 to latest Iphone-7, they look the same and Iphone-6 is pretty good one. I am assuming other users are probably feeling the same way. As a note: S&P 500 is trading at $208.

On FITbit, really liked their product - Fitbit Charge. Bought one last year and bought another one this year. I stopped wearing a watch around 10 years back but with new Fitbit, I am wearing it everyday as a watch and step counter. That said, stock has done horribly in the last year. I briefly made a profit (should have taken it) but now it is trading at $9. I dont see bright future for stock yet, though they are profitable, have a cash of $800M and with market cap of $1.9bill, it does not seem expensive. Will have to wait and see.

SWKS is trading at $75 with P/E of 15. I am not making profit on this yet but I expect it to recover in the next year. I will be holding this for now. DECK is trading at $52, with P/E of 15 and seems to be bottoming out. I sold the stock around $65 and took a small loss but now I am tempted to buy some. They are not back to growth phase but things are getting less bad - GM improved to 44.5%, from 44% and overall inventory decreased 2.9% but annual sales is still down 2% from last year.

DIS is trading at $92 with P/E of 16. Still not making any profit in this but I will hold on from some more time and see where it goes.

On another note, looks like merger wave in semiconductor market is not done yet.

Qualcomm is acquiring NXP for $37bill (I think), this is while NXP is still in the process of wrapping up Freescale acquisition last year.
Avago (broadcom) is acquiring Brocade for $5.5bill.
Lattice semiconductor is being acquired by some unknown company.
Linear Technologies (LLTC) is acquired by ADI.

Companies like Cypress semi, Maxim Integrated are still running as standalone companies, dont know how long they will last in that mode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home